Which Travel Medical Insurance Should I Use?

1 minute read

Francesca enjoying Italy
Francesca enjoying Italy
Image courtesy of Francesca W

If you’re a U.S. citizen traveling with InterExchange, you’re required to have travel medical insurance during your program.

Your policy should have:

  • coverage of at least $100,000
  • medical emergencies and evacuation
  • repatriation

We recommend a policy with a low (or zero) deductible, so you don’t have to pay much or anything out-of-pocket.

NOTE: some travel medical insurance providers have initial maximum durations of 180 days, but with the option to extend.

Affordable options to consider:

eStudent Insurance

You don’t have to be a student to purchase a plan through eStudent Insurance, and it’s easy to plug in your details and get a quote for your specific program duration on their site. You can buy most plans for up to 364 days with the option to extend for a second year.


With policies available for up to a year, SafetyWing makes it easy to book for the specific dates you need.

World Nomads

World Nomads makes the otherwise boring topic of travel medical insurance seem almost fun, with helpful resources, a blog, travel contests and scholarships. Initial policy periods are six months maximum.

Other providers you might consider:

InterExchange is not an insurance broker or advisor. Please consult a professional insurance agent before making decisions regarding your travel medical insurance coverage.

James Bridge By

James manages the programs for U.S. citizens at InterExchange.